USI account holders (students) have various options available to them when choosing who can view their transcript and how the transcript can be viewed by third parties. It is important that both students and third parties understand that third parties cannot view a student’s USI transcript without firstly obtaining permission from the student.
The Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar does not store an individual student’s training information unless they download a USI Transcript in which case we only store the transcript information for the time nominated by the student.
An authenticated USI Transcripts contains personal information of the individual student, as defined in section 6 of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). This means USI Transcripts must not be copied or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the individual student.
For further information, please refer to our privacy page.
Benefits of the USI Transcript
A student can choose to provide their USI Transcript as a way to verify their training records with any third party, including, but not limited to:
- A current employer (e.g. to demonstrate prior learning)
- A potential new employer (e.g. when applying for a job)
- Employment or recruiting agencies
- Licensing bodies
For further information on USI Transcript uses and benefits, refer to our transcript/training records page.
USI Transcript types: Full versus extract
Students can choose for third parties to view a full USI transcript or an extract of the transcript.
- A full USI Transcript means all training completed by the person from 1 January 2015 onwards appears on the transcript.
- An extract of a USI Transcript means the student has a choice about which achievements they want displayed on their USI Transcript. Giving students this ability and choice allows them to remove training or achievements that are not needed for that particular verification process. For example, a person studied a VET course when they were in high school and did not pass the course, however they undertook that course again some years later and passed. That person could choose not to show the results of the course they undertook in high school giving them a ‘fresh start’. An extract may also help employers, recruitment agencies and licensing bodies to quickly view relevant training information during employment recruitment processes and applications for funding, making it easier to verify VET qualifications to help people be employed sooner. If the heading of the USI Transcript includes the word ‘Extract’ (or ‘Partial’ in historical transcripts) it means that not all VET qualifications or training are included.
USI Transcript viewing options
Download a copy of a USI Transcript in PDF format
Any third party the student choses to provide it to
Download a USI Transcript in PDF format that is viewable online
YES, using a unique URL link and document number displayed at the bottom of the PDF
Download a copy of a USI Transcript
The USI account holder (student) can download a copy of their full transcript or transcript extract in PDF format and provide it to a third party either electronically (e.g. via email) or as hardcopy (e.g. a printed copy of the PDF). If the student has not chosen the verifiable online USI Transcript option, the PDF cannot be verified online by a third party to check that it is a genuine authenticated USI Transcript.
For further information, refer to our student permission to view transcript page.
Verifiable online USI Transcript
The USI account holder (student) can downloaded a verifiable copy of their full transcript or transcript extract in PDF format and provide it to a third party either electronically (e.g. via email) or as hardcopy (e.g. a printed copy of the PDF). At the bottom of the PDF Transcript, the following online verification information is included:
- A unique URL link, and
- An alpha-numeric document number, and
- An expiry date.
The unique URL link and alpha-numeric document number is used by the third party to view and verify the USI Transcript details online. Third party verification must occur prior to the expiry date recorded in the PDF Transcript and the student can change the set time limit or cancel the viewable USI Transcript at any time prior to the expiry date.
For further information, refer to our student permission to view a transcript page.
Third party viewing of an online USI Transcript
To verify a downloaded USI Transcript, the third party:
- Clicks on the unique URL link at the bottom of the electronic PDF (or manually keys the URL into their computer browser where the PDF is a hardcopy).
- Once the Authenticated Transcript screen is open, the third party keys the:
- Student’s full name as it appears on the Transcript in the ‘Name’ field; and
- Unique alpha-numeric document number in the ‘Document Number’ field.
- The third party reads and agrees to the privacy terms and conditions, then selects the ‘View Transcript’ button to view an authenticated online version of the Transcript.
- When the third party has viewed the Transcript online, the student is notified either by email, SMS or letter (this will be determined based on how the student has chosen to receive notifications from the Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar).
- Where a third party attempts to view an online Transcript after the expiry date or after the student can cancelled it, the third party will not be able to view it and will instead receive a system message stating that the USI Transcript is no longer available