From 1 January 2021, the Australian Government is extending the Unique Student Identifier (USI) to higher education.
What is the USI?
The USI is a single identifier for a student’s education journey.
When will the USI be introduced to higher education?
The USI will be introduced gradually, starting with all commencing students from 1 January 2021. By 2023, all tertiary students (including those who started before 2021) will need to have a USI in order to receive their award.
What do students need to do?
Students (domestic and onshore international) who are starting university study in 2021 are encouraged to:
- check if they already have a USI (from previous vocational education or training)
- get a USI as soon as possible
- provide their USI to their admission centre or higher education provider when requested.
If you are applying for Commonwealth financial assistance a USI must be recorded on your Commonwealth Assistance Form (CAF or eCAF).
Create it once and it's yours for life - get a USI now
What do higher education providers need to do?
From 2021, higher education providers need to:
- encourage commencing students to apply for a USI and request and record the USIs of commencing students (domestic and onshore international) on enrolment
- ensure the CAF or eCAF is populated with / includes the student’s USI
- report the USI as part of the DESE reporting cycle.
Decommissioning of Commonwealth Higher Education Student Number (CHESSN)
The Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar is not responsible for the decommissioning of CHESSN or the Transforming the Collection of Student Information project.
For questions about these initiatives, contact the Department of Education, Skills and Employment at USItoHigherEd@dese.gov.au
We have prepared the following content for higher education providers to share with their staff and students.
Social media posts
- Are you starting study in 2021? You need a USI – it’s your student number for life. Get one now at www.usi.gov.au
- Are you starting study in 2021? You need a USI. It’s a single identifier for your entire journey through uni. Create it once and it’s your student number for life. Get a USI or check if you already have one at www.usi.gov.au
Content to inform students
Content to inform staff