The authenticated VET transcript (USI Transcript) service was activated on 22 May 2017.
USI account holders can use their USI to access their national training record online in the form of a USI Transcript. The transcript should include details of all non-exempt nationally recognised training completed since 1 January 2015 and available as part of the national VET collection.
Higher Education qualifications will not appear on the USI Transcript.
USI Transcripts are drawn from data submitted to the national VET collections held by the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER).
Training activity data is reported by training organisations either annually (most privately funded training) or quarterly (most government funded training). The full list of available annual and quarterly data currently included in a transcript is shown in the USI Transcript – Available Data information box at the top of this page. You may need to rely on the qualifications or documentation from your training organisation in the most recent quarter/year.
USI Transcripts collate training outcomes from different training organisations, in different states and across different years in the one record. USI account holders can download, email or print their USI Transcript and share it electronically with registered training organisations, if they choose, from within their USI account.
If your training was completed prior to 1 January 2015, it will not appear in your USI Transcript. You will need to rely on the statement of attainment or transcript issued by your training organisation to show evidence of this training. If you have lost your qualifications or documentation for training complete prior to 2015, you will need to contact the training organisation who delivered the training.
USI Transcripts have many uses but it is important to note that it does not replace the qualifications or documentation issued by training organisations. It can be a useful backup if the original documentation is lost or where duplicate documentation cannot be obtained from the training organisation, for example, because it is no longer operating.
USI Transcripts have the same status as qualifications issued by training organisations for credit transfer purposes or demonstrating pre-requisites when undertaking further training.
You can also request a partial USI Transcript that allows you to select which training appears. In this case, the transcript will include a label to explain that it is a ‘partial transcript’.
If you give permission to a training organisation or VET Related Body to view your transcript, they will always be able to see your full transcript. You cannot create a partial online transcript for them to view.
Transcripts should show:
- The full name of the USI account holder (this is the only information drawn from the USI account). Preferred names will not appear
- Nationally recognised training (that has not been exempt)
- The name, outcome, training organisation and date of commencement and completion for all courses and units completed since 1 January 2015. Please check the USI Transcript-Available Data announcement above to see what training data is available
- The name, outcome, training organisation and date of commencement and completion for all units of competency commenced but not completed since 1 January 2015 (shown as continuing). Please check the USI Transcript-Available Data announcement above to see what training data is available
- The source of funding for the training
Transcripts will NOT show:
- Training that is not nationally recognised (even if delivered by a Registered Training Organisation)
- Training submitted to NCVER or a State Training Authority without a USI
- Training completed before 2015
- Training commenced since the last reporting period for your training organisation
- Training outcomes that changed after the last relevant annual or quarterly submission date
Transcripts may NOT show:
- Training delivered in a single day or less before 2018 as there was a temporary exemption for training organisations from reporting the USI. Some training organisations still chose to collect and report a USI and this training will appear on your USI Transcript
Inaccurate/incomplete USI Transcript
If something seems to be missing or wrong on your USI Transcript we suggest you read our fact sheet on possible errors first and then contact the training organisation who delivered the training to confirm and, if necessary, seek a correction.
Only training organisations can make corrections to the information on their student's USI Transcript by using the USI Transcript Update Tool. Training organisations can only update records they have lodged themselves. They cannot update training records you completed with a different training organisation. If you have corrections to training you completed with more than one training organisation you will need to contact each of them individually.
The USI Office and the NCVER are unable to make any corrections to a USI Transcript.
Sometimes, there may be valid reasons why training is not shown in the transcript, including:
- the training organisation has an exemption from reporting particular types of training, or
- the training organisation was unable to collect or verify the USI, or
- the national data for the relevant reporting period is not ready for display yet.
If you aren’t sure whether your training is nationally recognised, look for the Nationally Recognised Training symbol (shown below) on your certificate. Contact your training organisation if you are not sure.
If you are unsure of the contact details for the training organisation who delivered the training, you can search for them at https://www.myskills.gov.au/registeredtrainers/search/.
If your training organisation is no longer operating, the relevant VET regulator may be able to assist you in some circumstances. There are three VET regulators. Most training organisations are regulated by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA). Training organisations in Victoria are regulated by the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) and in Western Australia they are regulated by the Western Australian Training Accreditation Council (WA TAC). To find the regulator for your training organisation go to www.training.gov.au.
Corrections to your training records may take a couple of days depending on the complexity of the matter. Your training organisation will be notified when the change is applied to your USI Transcript, and they can let you know when the update has been applied.
Remember you can still use the qualifications or documentation issued directly by your training organisation if you need evidence quickly.