One-off versus ongoing third party authorisation
As a USI holder, you can choose another person or organisation to be your representative to communicate with the Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar (OSIR) on your behalf to make enquiries or update personal details on your USI account. We call this ‘third party authorisation’. There are two ways you can arrange third party authorisation:
- Phone us with your representative, complete the usual proof of identity check questions, and verbally authorise OSIR to speak to your representative during that phone call. This is considered ‘one-off’ authorisation and is only valid during that phone call.
- Complete a Third Party Authorisation form where you can choose for the person or organisation named on the form to be your representative for a specific period (e.g. several months) or ongoing until you provide further notice.
If you decide to complete a Third Party Authorisation form for a specified time, it is important you understand that:
- you will be disclosing your USI to the person or organisation,
- that person or organisation may make enquiries or update any of your personal details associated with your USI account, and
- the person you provide authority to is required to conduct a proof of identity check about you and themselves when they contact OSIR which must exactly match the details submitted on the form.
Children under the age of 15
If you are a parent or guardian and are seeking to make enquiries for children under the age of 15, please contact OSIR direct on 1300 857 536. You will be asked to provide proof of identity for the child under the age of 15. Once proof of identity is confirmed, we will be able to discuss/action the following with you:
- look up and verify details of the young person’s USI account
- update personal and contact information of the young person
- review and discuss details of the student’s USI Transcript
- action a Help Request.
Cancelling or modifying your authority
- Cancel* the authority you have provided to a third party, please complete and submit a Cancellation of authority form.
- Modify* the authority you have provided to a third party, please complete and submit a new Third Party Authorisation form with the updated details.